Friday, February 26, 2010

Working with wire!

I have been inspired again. I am going to start working with 14kt gold.  Earring will be the first thing I tackle.  We shall see what happens. I just ordered the wire. The second thing I want to work on is bezel setting. I have 2 books and I hope to teach myself.  I need to find a spot on the island where I can use my torch and work on this. So far I have not had the opportunity.  Maybe there is a studio in Naples, Fl that I can use.  Maybe even take another class! So many choices....
At any rate, thanks for reading and let me know what you think I should be working on next?
 I have been asked to make a turquoise necklace for the mother of a friend of mine.  Through researching and chatting with other jewelers there is lots of fake turquoise out there. African turquoise is dyed howlite.  Howlite is a pretty stone but it is not as soft as turquoise and is not as "valuable".  Chalk turquoise is turquoise that has been  ground up and then pressed or formed with other chemicals to make a bead.
There is also much turquoise that natural but treated.  Stabilized turquoise has been treated with heat to change the color and hardness and sometimes treated with resin to harden it. Chinese turquoise has a different color than the gem found in the Southwest but it is still natural but might not be of the same grade.
I will attach a link for more information once I receive permission to do so.
cheers,
anne
 

No comments: