Saturday, May 17, 2008

Great feedback

I am currently at the Food and Wine festival in Washington, DC. I brought some of my pieces to the show. I don't have a great design for display but I positioned them artfully. The booth next to me is a jewelry maker as well. Talk about display. It was amazing. multi level, multi colored...a bit overwhelming. She mainly does big stones and crystals. Not too many semi precious stones. Mostly quartz and glass. $70-$120 a pop. She whips these things up in seconds. I watched her today make about 17 necklaces, 4 pairs of earrings and 10 bracelets. We were only there for 8 hours. It takes me 8 hours to plan out my design. I was amazed. I wonder if I will get that quick? I wonder if I want to be that automatic....
The woman on the other side is a photographer. She had lots of prints as well as framed art. She built a wall on one side of the booth and allowed me to display on it. very nice! She watched the booth for me while I used the bathroom and got a bite to eat. I hope tomorrow I have a chance to walk around. Maybe in the morning. Folks are not so interested in us in the AM. I had a much better response after lunch. We are in a weird spot. Not near the drinking or eating. This was not one of my better first days in terms of sales. Nice folks though.
So, the title is great feedback...I learned today that using complex clasps on necklaces are difficult to maneuver if...
a) you have long finger nails
b) you have had too much to drink
c) if you are unwilling to put down the drink to try on the necklace.
That seems fair, right? I wore that one the rest of the day so no one else would have to suffer such frustration.
I was able to try an organic tempernillo from Chile and an organic Bordeaux from France. YUM! Also, as usual Trefethan Merlot was out of this world good. Only $32 a bottle, heaven! Maybe more tomorrow.
Cheers!
Cheers!

No comments: